Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Tuesday, Dec 7

Well, my molars are out. The procedure itself was interesting and quite painless. I took the 506 streetcar to Mount Sinai Hospital in downtown Toronto and arrived early. It started snowing on the way there--the first real snow of the season and it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

My surgeon was about an hour late because of the snow, but that didn't bother me. I was reading Coyote Healing and it put me in a great frame of mind. When Dr. Rittenburg arrived, he apologized and got right to work. First I got oxygen, then laughing gas. I couldn't have regular anaesthesia because of my sleep apnea. Dr. R. outlined the procedure for me and then put a topical anesthetic on my gums to ease the pain of the needles to freeze the area. Once the freezing took hold, he moved right into the main event. I was afraid but it really didn't hurt and it didn't take long either. When it was over, they took an x-ray to make sure that he had got it all and then I was done. I had been planning to take a taxi home but the dental assistant suggested I use the TTC and I did and it was fine. Good old TTC (streetcar in this case). It was still snowing and I got home with my prescriptions before the freezing started to wear off. That was the worst part. I tried to sleep but couldn't. I read the post-op care instructions. I got an ice pack on my cheek to address the swelling. The last 24 hours have been a little rough. The Tylenol 3 wears off before I am due for the next dose, but I've discovered that warm broth and tea & honey are really comforting. I guess I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat anything for awhile, but I don't think I really got it until I got home from the hospital. That has been going surprisingly well. It is fun to be in my little cocoon here--I turned the heat up so it is warmer than I normally keep it and I have e-mail and this blog and TV to keep me occupied when I'm not resting/sleeping. And I don't feel obligated to do anything in particular except take care of myself. Outside it is foggy and there is still snow left on the ground from yesterday. There is a lot of wind and I had to take my outside wind chimes down. Today should be a cosy inside day for me. I might try to do some crocheting. I am going to Kingston on Saturday by train, so I need to think about packing etc. That's all for now.

No comments: